Adoption and Addiction: What I Wish I Had Known
Event Date: 10/17/2023
Event Time: 11:30 AM - 01:00 PM
Event Type: Live Virtual
Total CE Credits: 1.5
Clinical Hours: 1.5
General Admission: $0 CE Cost: $10
What does adoption have to do with addiction? Well, 43% more adopted people have a substance use disorder in their lifetime compared to their non-adopted peers. That is a huge number! If Beth had known that when she adopted her son, she believes she would have been much more alert and prepared when he hit adolescence. As it was, she was blindsided by his substance use and didn't realize he was involved with drugs until he was strongly addicted. In this workshop, Beth will share her family's struggle with addiction, which started 5+ years ago; how her son's drug usage numbs his primal wound; and how she and her son have kept a positive relationship through it all.
1. Come to a greater understanding as to why adoption is a root cause of addiction for some adoptees.
2. Get a brief overview of the CRAFT and Invitation to Change models as scientifically proven methods for helping our loved ones get into treatment sooner than the "tough love" approach.
3. Learn practical skills that adoptive parents and loved ones can employ to help mitigate addiction's effects on adopted children.
Speaker & Bio
- 10/17/2023 | Adoption and Addiction: What I Wish I Had Known
- 11/14/2023 | Beyond Trauma: Restoring Hope for Youth and Families (Birmingham)
- 11/16/2023 | Beyond Trauma: Restoring Hope for Youth and Families (Montgomery)
- 11/16/2023 | Beyond Trauma: Restoring Hope for Youth and Families (Virtual)
- 12/14/2023 | Explicit Content and Youth: Unpacking Legal Implications and Effects