• Are they doing this on purpose?
• Are they just trying to make me mad?
• They know better but why aren’t they doing better?
• We’ve gone over this a million times AND we JUST talked about this!
• Things were going well and now I feel like we’re starting all over.
These are common sentiments among foster and adoptive parents as well as the helping professionals supporting these children. This webinar is geared toward understanding how various forms of trauma, loss, and disruptions in care often impact a child’s ability to accomplish age-appropriate biopsychosocial development. The webinar will discuss what is considered “normal” development, what behaviors can be expected if children get “stuck” in an immature developmental stage, and what parents and professionals can do to support their child’s development.
1) Provide a basic overview of how the human brain develops and the importance of various developmental tasks
2) Review what often happens when healthy development is impaired by disruption and trauma and common behaviors that often become present
3) Discuss practical strategies of how parents and professionals can support children in the face of difficult behaviors and increase a child’s chances to “catch up” developmentally