Beyond Trauma: Restoring Hope for Youth and Families (Birmingham)
Event Date: 11/14/2023
Event Time: 09:00 AM - 04:30 PM
Event Type: Live In-person
Total CE Credits: 5.5
Clinical Hours: 5.5
General Admission: $0 CE Cost: $55
In the wake of 2020, young people everywhere are facing challenges that stem from trauma, fractured family and community bonds, and struggles with impulse control. Gone are the days when simply involving them in activities guaranteed their success. Today, their ability to learn and thrive hinges on their state of mind, which is often clouded by the chaos of the world around them. For those of us working with youth, it can sometimes feel like an uphill battle. It seems like all our youth are "at-risk," and winning their trust can be tough when we can't change their life circumstances or bring them all into our homes.
But there's something that remains steadfast—a spark within each individual that can't be extinguished. Regardless of their backgrounds, this spark is the source of well-being, common sense, intelligence, creativity, and hope. It's the wellspring of resilience, impulse control, and the ability to withstand stress.
Through practical, hands-on activities that participants can apply when working with youth, this presentation will cover:
- An accessible exploration of how the mind works and its impact on daily life.
- Practical ways to connect more deeply with the youth we serve.
- Recognizing the inherent resilience within ourselves and the youth we support.
- Understanding how recognizing this innate resilience helps in managing stress, especially in the face of trauma.
Additional Topics Include:
- Going Beyond the Grim Statistics of Trauma
- Identifying Factors that Influence Stress Reactions After Trauma
- Unveiling the Power of the Human Mind
- Understanding the Link Between Thoughts and Emotions
- Techniques for Emotional Regulation During Stressful Times
- Seeing and Cultivating Resilience, Confidence, and Mental Health in Everyone
- Tapping into Creative Potential
- Nurturing Hope in All Children and the Adults Who Guide Them.
Join us as we welcome Brooke Wheeldon-Reece and Ashley Hunt from Spark Initiative, as they guide us on a journey to empower ourselves and the youth we work with, restoring the hope and well-being that lies within all of us.
Speakers & Bios
Vestavia Hills Civic Center
9:00-9:10 Welcome and Introductions
9:10-10:30 Part 1: Going Beyond the Trauma Statistics
- Risk and Protective Factors Related to Stress Reactions after Traum
- Understanding Thought Feeling Connection
- Increasing Emotional Regulation in Times of Trauma and Stress Reactions
10:45-11:45 Part 2: Understanding and Seeing Resilience
- Resilience, Confidence, and Mental Health that reside in everyone.
- Finding Your SPARK
11:45-1:15 Lunch on your own
1:15-2:45 Part 3: The True Power of the Mind: Perception vs. Reality
- State of Mind-Obstacle Course of Thought
- Separate Realities- Food for Thought
3:00-4:15 Part 4: Restoring Hope
- Built-In Design for Success/Insight-Based Learning
- What does wonder have to do with hope?
- Stress Resistance & Resilience
4:15-4:30 Wrap up, announcements, door prizes, etc.
- 10/17/2023 | Adoption and Addiction: What I Wish I Had Known
- 11/14/2023 | Beyond Trauma: Restoring Hope for Youth and Families (Birmingham)
- 11/16/2023 | Beyond Trauma: Restoring Hope for Youth and Families (Montgomery)
- 11/16/2023 | Beyond Trauma: Restoring Hope for Youth and Families (Virtual)
- 12/14/2023 | Explicit Content and Youth: Unpacking Legal Implications and Effects